Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Reaction to the readings.

 1. This article was very interesting to me as well as eye opening. I grew up in an urban city and realized a lot but never thought about it that much be cause it was a norm to me. I found it very educational to read about how African American males cope. Ive seen this in person and found it crazy how true it is for educators to find this behavior as offensive and troubling. I was very upset to fully see how absent diversity is in todays children literature as well as todays literature. But we need to try and include way more e literature about diversity. It is important for children to see themselves in the novels a well as being able to understand the background behind it. 

2.This video was very well spoken. It was kind of hurtful to realize that many fairy tales and movies do not have people of color. Then I thought back and it hit me that I have never heard a fairy tale that had a Spanish background or even a Black background. I thought it was very true when the speaker said that ignoring race is understood to be grateful, even generous liberal gesture. I thought that that was very crazy but when I thought about it deeper it made sense as to why we people never really want to talk about it. I knew that white characters were always present in literature way more but I never though to think deeper. But when she spoke about how it usually is a white cisgender male who is always getting praised it made sense. She gave an example which just so happened to be one of my favorite shows Vampire Diaries. The character Bonnie was always going through the most conflicts as well as dying. I think that it us unfair and injustice how many times the character of color is put through a greater amount of pain. 

3. I have always thought about gender identifications in literature as well as films. I could never imagine though how hard it is to see all these struggles and how the world is always set up against them. This is a important thing that should be address3ed in literature since students minds are just beginning to evolve and grow. I think it is important for them to understand that it is okay if you do not categorize yourself within the 2 genders, and that they are not a freak like the media and literature may present. When thinking of diversity in literature it is not always just about race. It is also about gender, sexual orientation, religious view, and etc. As educators we have to be open minded and be willing to continue being educated with thins that affect our students everyday lives. 


These readings were an amazing learning experience. I am glad that we are touching upon subjects like this spa that we can know how to properly apply them into our future classrooms. 

1 comment:

  1. Miss Valetin,

    You have to follow Dr. Thomas all over the interwebz and Dr. Tatum and Dr. McJacobs write a ton that you are connecting with in your understanding of children's literature.

    You do not know how many pre service teachers applying for the program proudly state in the interview, "I don't see color."

    It's not that they don't want to take about race. People know racism is bad. They think, "I am not bad so I can't be racist."

    Everyone's racist too simplistic and not the point. I think here at Southern we ask students to interrogate, respond to , and refute the effects racism has had on k12 teaching.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review for Poetry

  This poetry book turned out to me one of my favorites! Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reverso Poems is an interesting book. You are able to read...